Pandemic has changed the way businesses across the world operates. Businesses now need scalable IT environment and agile approach to meet the high demand of customer needs through digital medium. In this article I'm going to walk you through the top 5 reasons why you should consider application modernization.
You are reading an article which is part of the blog series on Legacy Application Modernization:
- Part 1 - What is application modernization
- Part-2: The Top 5 reasons why you should consiler application modernization
- Part 3 - 5 Key challenges when modernize your legacy business app
- Part 4 - 4 Steps to Preparing for the legacy software application modernization
In the previous article, we covered what is application modernization, but just to recap, the application modernization is the process of updating legacy applications to scalable, cloud-native app environments by using modern technology stacks.
Based on our expertise to modernize many applications over last 6 years, here are the top 5 reasons why you should consider application modernization:
1. Change in business
In today's fast paced world, businesses must adapt and it is very common for a business to change directions to make it more profitable. Adding more features to an existing business application built using legacy tech stack and maintained on in-house hardware might not be advantageous in a long term.
2. Cloud adoption
More than 70% of companies have now migrated at least some workloads into the public cloud, according to Gartner research. Using legacy business application built on deprecated technologies might result into data corruption, data loss, data breach or any other serious problems that can badly affect your business. Putting your data and your customer's data at stack can potentially leave you with serious repercussions. Cloud adoption can help come over such issues.
Monolithic or legacy business applications built with use of old technology aren't cross device compatible and cannot be used across desktops, laptops, tablets, and mobiles. This limitation might badly impact your operations. Application modernization can bring in better user experience and cross device compatible UI that can be accessed across the devices.
Applications built with legacy tech stack can become the hot and easy target for hackers. Application modernization with a good cloud migration strategy includes safe and secure cloud-native tech stack that will provide good security measures against such attacks.
Application modernization will facilitates the new business capabilities, and bring in Innovation. Business can better see unforeseen future market, technology, customer and can be prepared to take advantage of the same from today itself.
Above are the top reasons why you should consider application modernization for your business. There are additional technical benefits of modernization like:
- Performance – If you include the cloud adoption strategy with your application modernization, you can easily configure your cloud infrastructure to consistently serve the customers regardless of the amount of traffic. The latest tech stack is built for better performance as well.
- Automation – The business software that you built before many years with the technologies and tools available at that time. There are certain features in your business applications that now can be easily automated and help in improving productivity, operational excellence or efficient business operations. The application modernization will take care of these features by replacing them with better suited automation, cloud services or third party services.
- Integrations – Thanks to startup ecosystem, evolution of cloud and modern day technologies, there are so many business tools available to directly integrate. Being on legacy software might not integrate with these modern tools and keep your businesses away from operating efficiently.
- Maintenance and operational cost – Using legacy business application prevent you from retiring in-house infrastructure and migrating and using cost efficient cloud services. The application modernization might involve one-time cost but will set you free from maintaining in-house hardware-infrastructure and save cost in long-term.
There can be many business specific reasons for considering application modernize and it might be unique to every business. In this article, we covered 5 top most common reasons why you should consider application modernization and also covered some more technical advantages.
Subscribe to our blog and keep an eye on the Application Modernization tag to know more as we will be adding more content in the upcoming months.